The inhabitants of Villandry are called the Colombians because the former Roman domain « Villa Andriaca » kept the name of Villandry until the year one thousand and then was renamed Colombiers. And the village took back its name of Villandry in 1639. However the inhabitants remained the Colombians.
Situated in the department of Indre et Loire, where the Cher and the Loire meet, and at a 45 meter height, the village is near from these streams of lazy appearance, but able to make impressive floosdn as in 1856. In the heart of the regional natural reserve Loire Anjou Touraine and in entrance of the Val de Loire, recognized world heritage by Unesco, Villandry has a reasonable development passinf of 588 inhabitants in 1962 in 1062 today, and this in spite of the nearness of the city of Tours in fifteen kilometres. The centre of the village offers its old houses and church.s charm, and the castle is so close that we often see it under other perpectives. It is Emile Peltier.s place of birth and it has been directed towards agriculture for a long time. It is situated between wines of Vouvray, Montlouis de Chinon and de Bourgueil and it smells good Touraine and the good to live.
Photos of Villandry
Aller au site officiel de la commune( official website )
~Thanks to Aude Ancrenaz ~